Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Romance


I’ve got to be honest. Of all the subjects that I’ve written has given me sleepless nights. Emo? Yes. Love? Guess again. How to treat a women right? Grims. Romance? OMG! And I suppose that really is the heart of the problem for us guys. When it comes to romance we’re…well…pretty crap really! :S

For me it’s an age thing, I think. I started off well when I was at primary school, painstakingly coming up with heartfelt rhymes every valentine’s day. You know the deal; huge, padded card that needed its own seat with hundreds of “lurve” opems on the inside. Haha. “Roses are red, violets are blue, most girls smell apart from you”. Unfortunately my handwriting resembled a drunk spider with inky feet; I tend to smudge the ink all over the pages. Darmned parkerspen.

Into my late teens, I had a fair bit of money from bets or gaming events and I could be a bit more adventurous. No longer did I need the excuses of valentine’s day or birthday; I could go for the surprise gift; the sort that just says “you mean everything to me”. Those kinda of me2u bears, cardholders and other sorta crap; on that period of my life I did mature quite dramatically once in my later teens.

In my first BIG relationship I was always coming up with romantic gestures; birthday trip to Bandar for the weekend, or just cruise down to miri. But if I’d taken my other half with me it probably would have been a little more lovey-dovey I suppose. I’m kidding of course but looking back perhaps I just needed an excuse for a holidayJ

Of course there were the candlelit dinners, flowers and chocolates but somewhere along the way it all got forgotten. And I don’t think I’m alone in that respect. Perhaps it’s something to do with the way technology has impacted or screwed how we communicate with each other; the love letters we used to post started to be replaced by emails; and now look even the email has been superseded by the text so the hot date you took out on Friday get a max of 160 characters on a Saturday morning along with lines of “Gr8 2cu yesterday, LOL @ d movi, U ok 4 MON? L8R” WTF is wrong with poklen textin nowadays~ wouldn’t that just convince you it was a match made in heaven? Thank god I don’t text like that. J

However there is hope for us just about lost causes; the INTERNET, perfect for the couch potato living inside all of us. I did a search on “romantic gestures” and ended up at a site called www.askmen.com that said ‘relationship are like glaciers’ and they had some interesting tips on putting the chilli padi back into coupledommm.

From the obvious ‘breakfast in bed’ to a ‘shoulder massage’ there were some good starters.”obviously we are asians; typical asians guys stay with their parents till their late 20’s and how could we do those above if it doesn’t upset your parents.rofl” My favourite was from someone who wrote in saying theirs parents always slow dance to their favourite song; even if they were around shopping or dining. Now isn’t that romantic? Just don’t try it at a restaurant or a open-aired foodcourt. J

You would think then that I’d be apathetic about vday or a bday. I’m not. It acts as a great reminder; a big relationship signpost; a marker on the sand; a date for your diary. Or rather, the lazy man’s way out! So I’ll be good to go. Chocolates, cards, love notes left round inside her bag or jacket and flowers- all sorted. And I am ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment